Ambient, Experimental, Non-Music
InformationZizia composes and performs with environmental recordings, natural objects, and musical instruments. Zizia is Amber Wolfe and Jarrod Fowler. Wolfe composes scores from celestial maps corresponding to each concert. Fowler samples natural sounds and enhances habitats surrounding each concert. Zizia harmonizes cosmic and chthonic musics to create site-specific performances.
Genres: Animal Sounds, Drone, Electroacoustic, Field Recordings, Indeterminacy, Insect Music, Lowercase, Musique Concrète, Nature Recordings, Noise, Onkyo, Plant Sounds, Reductionism, Sound Art, Tape Music ...
- Zizia. (21-December 2019). Umbelliferae [Compact Disc].
- Zizia (22-September 2018). Zizia [Audio Cassettes & Digital Audio].
- Thursday, 24-X-2019. 8:30 PM. Vermillion, Seattle, WA.*
- Saturday, 19-X-2019. 7:30 PM. Halophyte Collective, SLC, UT.*
- Wednesday, 16-X-2019. 7:30 PM. Casper College, Casper, WY.*
- Saturday, 12-X-2019. 7:30 PM. Glitter City, Denver, CO.*
- Friday, 11-X-2019. 7:30 PM. Blo Back Gallery, Pueblo, CO.*
- Thursday, 10-X-2019. 7:30 PM. Corpus Arts, Albuquerque, NM.*
- Sunday, 06-X-2019. 7:30 PM. Longitudes, Lubbock, TX.*
- Saturday, 05-X-2019. 7:00 PM. Nebulae, Denton, TX.*
- Monday, 30-IX-2019. 7:30 PM. Lamplighter, Memphis, TN.*
- Friday, 27-IX-2019. 7:00 PM. FMRL, Nashville, TN.*
- Saturday, 21-IX-2019. 8:00 PM. Rhizome, Takoma Park, MD.*
- Tuesday, 03-IX-2019. 6:00 PM. ?, Hadley, MA.*
- Wednesday, 21-VIII-2019. 7:00 PM. Autumn Records, Winooski, VT.
- Tuesday, 02-VII-2019. 9:00 PM. WCUW 91.3FM, Worcester, MA.
- Monday, 18-II-2019. 8:00 PM Nameless Sound, Houston, TX.
- Saturday, 16-II-2019. 8:00 PM. Full City Rooster, Dallas. TX.
- Friday, 14-XII-2019. 12:00 PM. CalArts, Santa Clarita, CA.
- Thursday, 29-XI-2018. 4:00 PM. dublab, Los Angeles, CA.
- Sunday, 25-XI-2018. 8:00 PM. the.wulf, Los Angeles, CA.
- Saturday, 03-XI-2018. 8:00 PM. Gallery 1412, Seattle, WA.
- Friday, 19-X-2018. 7:30 PM. Narloch Piano Studio, Chicago, IL.
- Monday, 08-X-2018. 8:00 PM. Rhizome, Takoma Park, DC.
- Sunday, 07-X-2018. 7:00 PM. Vox Populi, Philadelphia, PA.
- Thursday, 27-IX-2018. 9:00 PM. H0L0, Queens, NY.
- Saturday, 15-IX-2018. 8:00 PM. Washington Street Art Center, MA.
*Habitats enhanced with wildflower seed bombs for pollinators.
Compositions... [Air] Transdisciplinarity -- Astrological measures and tunings --- Cardinal, fixed, and mutable patterns --- Zodiacal melodies and harmonies -- Ecological rhythms and instruments --- Communities of rhythmic processes --- Populations of instrumental textures ... [Water] Spatiotemporality -- Spatial tones and textures --- Qualitative astrological signs and ecological organisms --- Quantitative astrological houses and ecological habitats -- Temporal metrics and rhythmics --- Qualitative astrological modes and ecological functions --- Quantitative astrological degrees and ecological coordinates - Emotionality -- Cosmic levity -- Chthonic gravity ... [Earth] Materiality -- Instruments sustainably sourced -- Environments ethically restored -- Field recordings respectfully treated - Methodology -- Amplitudes, durations, and frequencies diversified -- Experiments imagined, inspired, and intuited ... [Fire] (In-)Determinacy -- Creative decisions improvised from materials -- Uncreative decisions determined by sources -- Authority over compositional decisions deconstructed - Transparency -- Composer-Listener dyads suspended -- Concert-Environment differences unified -- Locations, materials, and sources cited -- Acknowledgments provided ...
- "Zizia are, and thus will have been, the only group that explicitly presents a rigorous and sustainable musical system with inferential consequences generalizable across not only the musical and spiritual disciplinary communities to which they contribute, but also, and perhaps more remarkably, for the robustly diverse and transient ecological communities of non-human agents with which they mutually and dynamically collaborate." - Kieran Daly
- "Zizia composes from our primary world (terrestrial and super-terrestrial) to create secondary worlds that hover between eco-ambient fog layers and space station music for your AM dials." - Michael Pisaro